Our recommendation is to buy through the campus CCI program, which allows student pricing, and includes a warranty that will allow students to have their laptop serviced on campus, and be provided a loaner while the repairs are happening.
Here is the list of laptops available:
Here are the minimum requirements to ensure compatibility with programs necessary at the SOL:
While students are not required to purchase a laptop through the Carolina Computing Initiative, they are required to have a laptop that meets or exceeds the minimum laptop specifications for their class. Please note that while best efforts will be made to support students with non-CCI laptops, the highest level of support can only be extended to students who purchase a CCI laptop package. Specifically, hardware support and access to main campus’ pool of loaner laptops are provided only for students who own a CCI model laptop.
Students are given free access to the Microsoft Office 365 Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, and take exams through Examsoft. These programs require the following:
- PC: 12th Generation Intel Core i5 or better. DO NOT get an ARM Processor, it will not work with exam software.
- MAC: Apple Silicon M2 or better
- Memory: 8 GB Minimum
- Hard Disk Drive: 256 GB SSD
- Display: 13 inches or larger
- 1920 x 1080 Resolution or better
- Media Capabilities:
- Network: Wireless (802.11a/b/g/n compliant)
- Expansion Ports: USB 2.0/3.0 and/or USB-C
- Operating System:
- PC: Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise or Pro
- MAC: macOS 12 or later
Please call 919.962.HELP (4357) or visit help.unc.edu and click on the “chat” icon at the bottom of the page to receive immediate assistance.