EXSS FP Curriculum
Two Curricula Options
A student’s curriculum (2018 or 2020) is based on when they arrived to Carolina.
- Students who arrived in 2020 or later are assigned to the “2020 Curriculum”
- Students who arrived prior to 2020 are assigned to the “2018 Curriculum.” However, if they arrived before 2020 and would like to follow the 2020 curriculum, they should notify the EXSS Director of Undergraduate Studies, Meredith Petschauer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
What’s the difference between the 2018 and 2020 curricula?
- The 2020 curriculum gives students more options.
- They may take EXSS 380 (Motor Control), or EXSS 385 (Biomechanics).
- They may take EXSS 478, which is about training athletes, or EXSS 408, which is about personal training for the general population.
- They may gain additional fitness experiences (up to six additional credits of EXSS 593 Practicum) or they may take 1-2 EXSS courses they find interesting (e.g., EXSS 273 Research Methods, EXSS 288 Emergency Care, etc.).
It will take at least five semesters to complete the curriculum
- There is a sequence of five semester-long courses that build off each other.
- EXSS 155 (3 cr.) – Human Anatomy and Physiology I *
- EXSS 256 (3 cr.) – Human Anatomy and Physiology II*
- EXSS 376 (3 cr.) – Physiologic Basis for Human Performance
- EXSS 410 (4 cr.) – Exercise Testing and Prescription
- EXSS 593 (1,2, or 3 cr. for the 2018 curriculum; 3,6, or 9 cr. for the 2020 curriculum) – Practicum in Physical Fitness and Wellness
- During registration, students should prioritize the next course in the sequence
* Note: Prior to Fall 2023, these classes were listed as EXSS 175 Human Anatomy and EXSS 276 Human Physiology