4 takeaways from a first-time student at the UNC Summer Jazz Workshop

When I saw that there was an opportunity to gain 3 credit hours for learning journalism and jazz, I was immediately interested. I have always loved music and was eager for the opportunity to learn more about the art of jazz. I also had worked at the UNC student newspaper: The Daily Tar Heel for a grand total of 2 months, and I figured I could give the journalism thing another go.

As this week comes to a close and I have arrived at the last day of class, I had a couple points of reflection for interested individuals.

1. Learning about journalism has been so enlightening. 

One of the parts of this workshop involves learning about journalism and its various aspects from a current professor in the UNC School of Media and Journalism.

We learned about how to conduct interviews to build a profile around someone, write a music review, and use social media to document a live performance. All of these activities were incredibly fun, and I learned so much that I can take into many parts of my life. I highly recommend this for anyone interested in getting into journalism or just wanting to learn more about it!

2. This workshop brings incredible musicians and stories together. 

One of the most exciting parts I got to participate in was writing a profile on a talented jazz musician named Jhon Martez. He is a trumpet player who comes from the Dominican Republic and studies at Berklee College of Music. He is an exceptional player and person, and to be able to experience his musicianship and learn more about him as a person was a true treat during this workshop.

He is one of the many individuals with incredible stories to tell that make their way to this workshop, and the opportunity to meet all of them is an amazing part of this week.

3. There are ample opportunities to learn about jazz styles from many different instruments. 

One part of the workshop that was incredible was being able to sit in on group lessons for the various instruments at the workshop. I was able to sit in on trumpet, trombone and voice lessons, where I could watch masters at their craft teach.

My favorite lesson was the voice lesson. I especially loved this because as a brass player, I was not very acquainted to the art of jazz voice, and to be able to watch the process up close and personal was so inspiring to learn about.

Along with the lessons, the free concerts every night had such variety of styles and instrumentation. Every night was an incredible opportunity to watch jazz musicians perform their art at such a high level.

Did I mention they are free?

4. The food in Granville Towers is heavenly. 

On a less serious note, during the workshop you have the option of eating and staying at Granville Towers, a place for students to live during the academic year. With this, you get the privilege to feast at the lovely dining hall, the Agora.

The food at this place is immaculate, and it included the likes of spaghetti and meatballs, beef steak, ice cream, and so much more.

It may not be the most educational part of the workshop, but it sure is a perk!