What is Graduate School in Chemistry Like?
Graduate school provides an opportunity to further your knowledge and become an expert in a given field. Through these programs, you will gain knowledge through coursework and academic research. In addition, you will likely serve as an undergraduate teaching assistant for a lab or lecture course.
What Types of Graduate Programs Exist for Chemistry?
There are two types of graduate programs: Masters and Ph.D.
Should You Go to Graduate School?
- Do you want to learn more about chemistry and expand your skills?
- Are you unsure of what type of job you can get with this degree and what it will do for you?
- Do some research and determine if you need a graduate degree to meet your career goals.
- Talk to the chemists that are around you if you can. Some may have started in industry!
- Are you “over” school?
- Graduate school is probably not the right choice for you. While grad school is different than undergrad in some respects, it is still very demanding.
How to Prepare for Graduate School
There are a variety of ways to prepare for graduate school, like:
- Talk to some of your professors to get their perspective and advice
- Talk to peers and graduate students to get their perspective and advice
- Organize deadlines and admission requirements for all schools you are interested in
- Get involved in Undergraduate Research or other research opportunities.