About Graduate School
What is Graduate School in Chemistry Like?
Graduate school is a place to go to further your knowledge to become an expert in a given field. Through these programs, you will gain knowledge through coursework and academic research. In addition, you will likely serve as an undergraduate teaching assistant for a lab or lecture course.
What Types of Graduate Programs Exist for Chemistry?
There are two types of graduate programs: Masters and Ph.D.
Should You Go to Graduate School?
- Do you want to learn more about chemistry and expand your skills?
- Don’t know what type of job you can get with this degree and what it will do for you?
- Do some research
- Talk to the chemists that are around you if you can. Some may have started in industry!
- Are you over school?
- Probably not the right choice for you. While grad school is different than undergrad in some respects, but it is still very demanding.
How to Prepare for Graduate School
- There are a variety of ways to prepare for graduate school.
- Talk to some of your professors to get their perspective
- Talk to Peers and graduate students
- Organize deadlines and admission requirements for all schools you are interested in
- Get involved in undergraduate research. See Resume Boosters Prior to Graduate School